Crisis Communications & Management Training
Media training becomes critical when an issue arises
Every organisation is vulnerable to a crisis – it’s knowing the right way to deal with a situation that changes the way companies are perceived by their stakeholders and the media.
Talking to the media can be overwhelming on a good news day, so coming face to face with a journalist when a crisis arises can be extremely stressful. Keeping a clear head and delivering key messages to the public while dealing with the media’s demands can be almost impossible.
Crisis communication training is one of our specialities and we have designed a training program that protects and defends a company’s reputation if facing public scrutiny.
Crisis and issues management begins with planning before there is a situation that needs to be handled effectively.
At Media Manoeuvres, our approach is to prepare our trainees to minimise the impact of an issue before it escalates to crisis status. We teach senior staff and executives how to work with the media in such situations so they get the best result and maintain their reputation.
Managing issues in the media involves high-stakes communication, where one wrong move or nuance can adversely affect an organisation’s reputation or, worse, the bottom line of the business. Conversely, dealing with issues can be a fantastic opportunity to showcase your capabilities.
These sessions focus on specific issues to give spokespeople confidence to handle the media effectively. Participants learn how to anticipate the media angles and questions, and how to use control skills to maintain the organisation’s agenda.
– Divisional Director, Perioperative and Critical Care, Western Health
Our highly practical and interactive crisis media training program introduces the participants to proven crisis communication models.
It gives them an understanding of the heightened factors in a risk environment when reporting a crisis, as well as tools and strategies to ensure the best result in protecting the company’s reputation, including a process for systematic media statements to keep the media on side.
Preparation for a crisis is only complete when the crisis team members have an opportunity to test and rehearse plans.
Media Manoeuvres’ experienced news, current affairs and business and finance journalists perform real-to-life media roles during simulations in desktop or full-scale simulations, including social media management in real time.
Electronic news bulletins and reports, as well as mocked-up newspaper headlines and stories of the next day, are produced for trainees to see, first hand, the results of the communications team’s efforts.
5 Steps to Effective Crisis Management
- Identify your crisis management team: Whether internal or external, you need experienced and professional people on side. Decide who will be the company’s spokespeople during a crisis situation. These people must have the right skills and training.
- Be proactive: Gather your crisis management team regularly and thoroughly prepare for a crisis situation. Participate in formal training with experts and regularly follow up with intensive strategy sessions.
- Learn how to effectively handle the media: Get professional media skills and crisis management training. Specialist spokesperson training teaches staff how to be prepared and how to respond in ways to get the best outcome for all involved.
- Know your key messages: These messages relate to the situation at hand and it is important to keep it very simple with stakeholder-specific messages and communication.
- Learn and move forward: After a crisis, it’s important to implement key learnings and put new measures in place. This may include more training or updated training in crisis management.
The way an issue or crisis is handled by a company can make or break it. Crisis management and specialist media training is an area companies cannot ignore. Our issues and crisis management courses will stand you and your staff in good stead to handle any situation that arises with integrity and control to get the best outcome.
Defending your brand and reputation is an investment in the longevity and success of your business.
For details on our training please contact us today on the following numbers around Australia: