Media training: 7 qualities of highly effective spokespeople
Your corporate communications strategy should include spokesperson training.
Having a good media spokesperson on your team can make all the difference between your company gaining a good reputation or a bad one. That’s why training in this area can reap huge rewards for your business.
The Media Manoeuvres approach to media training across Australia is simple: Companies must have effective and efficient media spokespeople. Not only that, but training in this area should be ongoing for senior management, executives and team members.
The principles we teach are based on developing new skills and behaviours; receiving feedback; seeing the consequences; and finally, integrating the new skills into effective performance in the workplace.
Great spokespeople possess these 7 qualities:
- Knowledge of their target audience: It is imperative to know the target audience, because these are the people with whom you want to communicate.
- Understanding of the media: Knowing how journalists think and work is important when it comes to communicating with the media or managing a crisis.
- Understanding of their key messages: When working with the media it’s important to be consistent with the messages being delivered to the public. A good spokesperson will be able to address the media and stay on-message, whatever the question.
- Preparedness: Great spokespeople know how to prepare before speaking with a journalist. They can predict questions that may be asked and will always have information they can draw from, such as company statistics and facts.
- Eloquence: They speak with meaning and are articulate. People want to listen to what they are saying.
- Calmness under pressure: They keep their cool in difficult situations and are focused on the messages that need to be conveyed.
- Confidence: They appear relaxed, confident, focused and credible. They speak with power.
Our programs are delivered in varying formats, which are specifically designed to match the skill level and needs of trainees.
The focus for this session is an introduction to the media industry and how it works for participants who have had limited experience with the media or who may only deal with the media occasionally.
This session, conducted in a group setting, gives participants a grounding in what the media wants, how to satisfy media enquiries, identify what is newsworthy and how to maximise public relations opportunities.
Importantly, participants will also learn the danger zones and the repercussions of straying from their boundaries.
Executive Media Skills – Step 1
This fast-paced and interactive course introduces participants to the skills and techniques needed to effectively work with the media in a variety of situations.
Combining Media Manoeuvres’ media communication models and adult training principles, you will learn how the media works and what journalists are looking for, explore the elements of a successful interview and the attributes required to be an effective media spokesperson.
Techniques are ‘tested’ in a supportive environment using different forms of media (print, radio, TV and digital) in real-to-life simulations to gain maximum exposure and interview practice.
Tailored for executive, specialist and professional staff, the course introduces participants to effective media control skills and builds interview confidence by assessing strengths and areas for improvement through simulated interviews.
– Executive Manager – Suncorp
Advanced Media Skills – Step 2
During this session, participants are expected to be able to apply key communication models and media tools using the blueprints developed in Step 1. Participants focus on their media performance by developing more sophisticated control skills and applying a strategic approach to media communication.
We focus on content and integrate the organisation’s strategic objectives with the participant’s media performance to hone media skills.
Other Media Manoeuvres courses include:
- Issue Based Media Training
- Crisis Media Skills
- Crisis Simulations – Desktop Multimedia Role Play
- Crisis Media Awareness
If you would like to find out more about our training programs (spokesperson and media), please contact us today on the following numbers around Australia: