There’s no question that good online video content captures your audience’s attention. But what if you look like a deer in headlights when the camera rolls?
If you think being the main presenter or company spokesperson on video (be it for a product launch, internal video or another communication piece) is easy, think again. The internet is littered with examples of presenters that look uncomfortable on camera, are not themselves, and as a result come across as insincere. If you have a story to tell but you can’t communicate it persuasively, it doesn’t matter.
Smiling, having a persona, sounding and looking confident as well as clearly delivering your message in front of a camera is no mean feat. It’s no fluke that TV reporters look at ease. In reality, the only thing that prepares us for talking and presenting in front of a camera is specific on camera training plus rehearsing, preparation and experience. It isn’t enough just to convey a message…you need to engage and connect with your audience. That’s where we step in.
The vital importance of video content and the types of videos
There are many purposes for videos; some are designed to secure new business, to launch a product or provide an overview. These videos can include customer testimonials. Others might be to recruit new employees and contain employee testimonials. Some companies prepare internal reporting videos or prepare video messages to employees or other stakeholders. The list goes on.
The digital age offers so many platforms for your audience to view your company-made video. Examples include: your website, your Facebook page, your intranet or your YouTube channel. You probably already know that YouTube is the second largest search engine after Google!
So if you’re planning to create quality videos for any of the platforms mentioned, it’s a no-brainer to hone your skills in front of the camera before doing so.
Top reasons for video
- In an age of information overload, online video is quickly becoming the future of content marketing. Videos are great for online consumption because they can be digested quickly and shared fast. To this end they need to be short, sharp and to the point.
- We know that visuals are more powerful than pure text-based content, and this includes videos. Did you know that viewers are 10 times more likely to share, engage and comment on videos compared to other forms of content?
- The great thing about a video is that tone, facial expression and emotion can be added. What better way to evoke a connection than with an engaging video to motivate your audience?
- Adding a video for external audiences should bring more people to your site, while a video made for internal purposes can motivate employees. Whichever the type of video, increasing the number of viewers will only be fulfilled if your video is compelling enough.
Now that we’ve established the type and importance of video content that can be made, the next step is to consider which are the most important stories you have to tell and who will be included in your video.
Why reaching out to professional media trainers is worth the investment
You could do it alone, but is publishing a substandard video together worth the risk? Think of what it can do to your reputation or the perception of your business. How others immediately perceive you or your business comes down to the first few seconds of your video …..seconds to decide whether to keep watching or walk!
It takes training, preparation and experience to project a great image and communicate effectively through a camera lens. You have one shot so you have to get it right. Media Manoeuvres’ one-on-one customised on-camera training course will help you feel confident, relaxed and ready to step in front of a camera with ease and engage the audience.
Here are a few things you’ll learn from on Presenting to Camera course:
- Discover who you want or need to be on video
- Discover the secret to telling powerful stories
- Learn the 3-step blueprint that TV presenters use to connect with their audience
- Knowing your audience and what they want to hear from you
- How to be engaging and to the point
- Skills to be more compelling on camera
- Develop a natural style in delivering content using an autocue
- Be advised on makeup, hair, body language, gesture, posture, facial expression, eye contact and more
- Get camera confident and learn to love the camera so you leave your audience with a lasting impression
Media Manoeuvres is Australia’s leading media and stakeholder communications training and presentation company. We conduct Media Training for many leading organisations in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane and Perth. Contact us to find out how our media training can maintain and improve the reputation management of your organisation.